Sligo Leitrim Boys U14 through to Subway Trophy final.   06/03/2023

Sligo Leitrim U14 Kennedy Cup squad made the long journey to Kilworth Celtic FCs ground to take on Waterford/West East Cork in the semi-final of the Subway Interleague Trophy. A five and a half hour journey with an early start for the team should have seen the team lethargic at the start but Sligo Leitrim started like a house on fire with Niall Tuffy and Jack Kelly going close in the first five minutes. Sligo Leitrim dominated the first half with Aodhan Hannon rarely troubled in the Sligo Leitrim goals. Sam Ferguson and Jack Kelly created several good chances and Ferguson was unlucky not to score with a long range shot fizzing inches wide of the post. Jack Mc Gowan again terrorised WWEC who couldn’t cope with his pace or wizardry on the ball. The back line was solid with Mathew Speers, Marc Brady , Daniel Toolan and Pearce O Neill holding firm for the first half. 
Aj Tighe and Oran Mc Granaghan caused all sorts of problems for WWEC. Niall Tuffy had some half chances which forced good saves from the WWEC. 
Sligo Leitrim deservedly took the lead with Niall Tuffy hitting a perfect cross to the back post with Aj Tighe tapping home for the opening score. Sligo Leitrim led at the break. 
A number of changes from Sligo Leitrim at halftime with Jayden Barlow, Dara Flannery, Dylan Murphy, 
Liam Timoney, Ethan Hunter, Shane Carroll Hugh O’Connell all coming on for a full half. 
Sligo Leitrim were a bit sluggish at the start of the second half and Shane Carroll made a number of good clearances with WWEC strikers reigning in on him. Sligo Leitrim upped their game and Ethan Hunter forced a corner following some good link play with Hugh O’Connell. Mathew Speers sent in the corner which was majestically headed to the net by Sam Ferguson who towered above everyone to put  Sligo Leitrim 2/0 ahead. 
Sligo Leitrim let WWEC back into the game with twenty minutes remaining when they scored with their midfielder going on an unchallenged run before smashing home the ball to the net for 2/1. 
WEEC had the wind in their sails and caused havoc for an eight minute period with last ditch tackles from Hugh O’Connell and Dylan Murphy saving their blushes. 
Jayden Barlow had two good chances saved by the keeper and Darragh Flannery also forced a good save. Sligo Leitrim were very unlucky not to score a third with Jack Kelly forcing a brilliant save from the WWEC keeper. Sligo Leitrim held on for a famous victory and now play Mayo in the Subway National Inter league Trophy final on 18th of March in UL Limerick.. A very happy management team of Daithi and Dave Cummins and Kenneth Loftus will now turn their attentions to the final preparations. A huge thank you to Kilworth Celtic Fc and WWEC AND Liam Frazer for their outstanding sportsmanship and hospitality to our team during and after the game. 
Man of the match went to Sam Ferguson in  a match winning performance and fittingly scoring the winner. 
A long journey back now, somewhat sweeter with todays result. A big thank you to the parents who traveled to support and were very vocal on the side-lines encouraging the players.

Upcoming Events